Thursday 28 February 2013

Experiments with aperture

West Pennines, 8.2.13

I concentrated on using aperture control the depth of field, to be more selective or inclusive and to see the effect.

 55mm, f2.8, 1/5000

 35mm, f18, 1/100

 17mm, f2.8, 1/3200


 These two shots show the extremes of my usual zoom lens at 17mm: f2.8 at 1/2500 and f22 at 1/60.

 28mm, f2.8, 1/2000

17mm, f2.8, 1/800

I was pleased with the way these shots worked out, but selecting details also means having the focus sharp. Next time I want to try some shots with a tripod. I particularly liked the photo of the hawthorn tree above - I love these knarled trees and the way that they shape themselves into the landscape.
I took a lot of this subject from different angles; this is a selection.





Lots of the landscape shots were taken with either very wide or very small apertures. I experimented with the mid range too. In this one I wanted the older photo and the people in the field of vision. This is my sister, with her husband and one of her sons, looking at photos from her childhood.
17mm, f4.0 at 1/15

2 comments:

  1. I like very much that with the wall, very tricky contrast and nice compo. Taht one with the big tree is also a great compo, and the light was marvellous. the one with the lonely tree (17mm, f2.8, 1/800), i would have go closer and put the branches on the sky contrast and the trunk in contrast with the land. I hope to explain well. (that tree had many possibilities, perhaps you have other shots...). thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran, and I'm glad that you like them. I've put a few other shots of the tree on the blog too that you might like to see. The tree had a strangely human quality about it and I took a lot without feeling quite satisfied. I'd like to go back - as you say it has many possibilities!

      Delete