Wednesday 6 March 2013

The Built Environment - aperture settings, RAW images and polarizer - Salford

Here are some of the images that we looked at for inspiration on this theme:
The Built Environment PDF

I headed to Salford in bright sunshine to practice using aperture to control the depth of field. Bright sun is one of my least favourite lights to work in - I find the contrasts very hard to balance. I took a circular polarizing filter and wanted to become more familiar with using this.

 This is the first time that I have shot in RAW. I set the camera to save a JPEG too and this meant that it automatically took a colour as well as a black and white shot, both at the same settings.

ISO 100 - 35mm, 1/50, f18
 I had a shot of the city in mind but realized that I needed a much longer lens to have a hope of getting it, along with very different light.

55mm, 1/50, f18


 55mm, 1/50, f18
 Something else I'm not too familiar with is using a tripod. Mine is heavy,  and can be fiddly to set up. It is a different way of working but one I want to try. I used it for these shots, but found it hard to get the view I wanted.

50mm, 1/50, f18
 I used the polarizing filter to see if it would improved the contrast...
In the end this was probably my best shot. I adjusted the exposure to compensate for the filter and the stopped down aperture helped to give the long depth of field.

55mm, 1/8, f22

No comments:

Post a Comment